Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Alphabet Adventure: Letter D!

Another week is done...crazy.  I can't believe that we're halfway through October, the leaves are falling off the trees and Christmas decorations are out at some stores.  Where does the time go?!

We had another good week at Henry's Alphabet Adventure.  This week we talked a lot about Ducks, Dinosaurs and Dirt.

Our Letter D craft this week turned out to be probably my favorites thusfar in our adventure.  We turned a letter D into a Duck.  This one turned out to be done mostly by me so that we didn't end up with a Picasso Duck, which I guess wouldn't have been the end of the world but I wanted to make sure Henry associated Duck with D.

(I noticed when posting this online before that he is drawing with his left hand.  He usually draws/writes with his right hand but does other things lefty like batting and golfing.  I have a picture from later in the week where he's using his right hand with a marker. Funny.)

D week was quite Delicious!  Henry and I made Dirt Dessert, which is such a fun thing to make and to eat.  Henry was in charge of smashing the cookies to make the "dirt".  He really enjoyed this part of the activity.

He also really enjoyed being on Worm Duty.  He didn't last long on this duty because he realized the gummy worms were delicious and started eating them instead of putting them into the dirt.  (Smart boy!)
We got to share the Dirt with Eddie's family that night.  They all enjoyed it but Henry didn't care about the dessert except for the worms, which he insisted be cleaned off before he ate them.  (Strange boy!)

One night during the week Eddie and I took Henry to the local firestation because they were holding an Open House for Fire Prevention Week.  We all had a really good time.  Henry LOVED it all, especially getting to ride around the block in a fire truck!  (I know Fire Truck has nothing to do with D week but he was so cute I had to share!)


After the adventure at the fire station we went to Dunkin Donuts so that Eddie could partake in some D Week fun too.

We also took a trip to the Dollar Store and found a fun pack of little dinosaurs that we brought home.  We had some fun making dino footprints in Play-doh.


Henry has loved using bingo markers/dabbers for quite some time now so I was excited to find out that there are a lot of free printables on the internet that have the kiddos use their bingo markers to follow patters, make letters/shapes, etc.  (They are frequently called "Do A Dot" in case you are googling for them.)  I found a neat set on another mommyblog that goes with the alphabet that we haven't used much yet but I tried them out with Henry this week.  He had fun and after going nuts on the first one he was more thoughtful/careful with putting the marker down only on the dots. 


One thing that I loved about us working at a college (and now just Eddie working at one) is being able to be involved on campus in fun ways.  I remember working at CNU pre-Henry and loving seeing our colleagues bringing their families to various campus events.  The kids always thought it was really cool and the students (I think anyway) liked having little kids around.  I am enjoying being able to bring Henry to Eddie's office for lunches now and again and also taking him to events on campus.  One of the highlights of this week was getting to have some fun at Octoberfest at Ramapo College (where Eddie works).  The event was for students and their families so there was a plethora of fun things to do like inflatable obstacle courses, balloons, carnival games, etc.  Henry was in heaven! 

One of his favorite things actually fit in with D week!  It was a giant inflatable dragon that you could walk through!




(Thanks to Kat for being our official photographer!)

We had quite a few D books in our collection at home (Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs by Sandra Boynton is a Henry-favorite) but I also got a few at the library.  Turns out that there were two superpicks out of what we brought home!  (We've even had to read them into E week!)

Dimity Duck by Jane Yolen and Duck Goes Potty by Michael Dahl were both hits.  We read them dozens of times and they made Henry giggle, which made me giggle so everyone wins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment