Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Alphabet Adventure: Letter F

The Alphabet Adventure continues though I'm a little behind on the blogging of it.

Letter F week brought some fun activities though I missed out on taking pictures of some of them.  His everyday activities (the ones I leave out for him to play with on his own at his leisure throughout the week) included:
-We played with Phonics Fish that we had found at the local high school's yard sale for a dollar!  He is obviously too little to really understand any of it but I liked that they were fish and he could pick out the letters on them.
-Fishing with a magnetic fish puzzle. (This was a freebie we picked up from someone in a neighborhood getting rid of stuff a long time ago.)
-He has a little playset called "Forest Friends" that includes a plastic mat with a forest scene and a bunch of plastic animals.  He wasn't interested in the mat but did like putting the animals in the ladder basket on his play firetruck.

Also without a picture is our lunch date to Burger King for French Fries and then visiting the fish at the local pet store.  (Though he was more impressed with the cage of mice since they were flying around the wheel.)

Now onto things we did that I have photos of:

Henry had his first experience with stamps and ink pads.  He did remarkably well with them (read: he did not make a HUGE mess).  I had picked up an F stamp and a flower pattern stamp at Michael's a long time ago in the clearance bin!


I introduced Henry to Eric Carle's The Very Lonely Firefly via YouTube video.  (We read a lot of books so I don't feel bad throwing in videos.  YouTube is awesome!)  We watched it a few times during the beginning of the week and then later in the week we made a glowing firefly craft.  (And by "we" I mean, I made a glowing firefly craft and Henry played with it.)  Once again, glow sticks come in handy!  Henry really liked this little firefly.



Another fun part of F week was the colored ice fish I made.  (Thanks to IKEA for this easy activity.) I filled the tray with water, put in a small drop of food coloring in each and stuck it in the freezer.  I pulled them out on a bath night.  Henry really enjoyed playing with the ice fish in the container at first and then experimented with them in the bath water.  We had bubbles in the tub so the food coloring from the melting fish left little colorful trails. 




Hurray for F week!

No comments:

Post a Comment