Monday, June 13, 2011

Cape Cod and New Tricks

Eddie, Henry and I packed ourselves up and headed up to Cape Cod on Friday. (This is the 7th summer that Eddie and I have gone up!) Thursday night's weather forecast said that it would be sunny and 70 while we were there....however, it was overcast and much cooler than 70 on Friday and then all cloudy and some sprinkles/rain and cold on Saturday. But as I said, a rainy day on the Cape is better than a sunny day many other places! Even with the yucky weather we made the most out of it.

We checked into our hotel on Friday afternoon after an easy drive that was a little over four hours. We had stayed at this one a few years ago and remembered that our room had had a great view. Our room this year had the same view and Henry enjoyed looking out the window at all of the swans, ducks, geese and other birds.

We got back in the car to head to the first Chatham A's game of the season. It was an away game but we went anyways to cheer on our team. Henry was so excited to be at the game on Friday that he showed off a new trick!

We left after the 7th inning stretch so that we could get Henry back to the hotel and to bed at a reasonable hour. That night Henry was very upset to be in his pack and play for bed. Eddie and I let him cry for a while to see if he would calm himself down. All of a sudden Eddie said "Oh my gosh....look!" I looked over and there was sad Henry's little face poking up from the pack and play wall...he had pulled himself up to stand in it! He's gotten mobile in the last few days. I snapped this video this morning so you can see how good he's getting at this.

Don't worry we've already started the "TV Is a No-No" policy. We are clearly entering a new world of fun with Henry. :-)

Back to Cape Cod... Saturday was cloudy, cool and sprinkled on and off. We did, however, manage to check out the Cape Cod Maritime History festival in Hyannis, which included some roving pirates, a bagpiper and a neat craft/arts tent. After we did that we walked around downtown a little and then went to the Cape Cod Beer Brewery tour. It wasn't so much a tour as a "stand in the small warehouse where their whole operation is". There were a lot of people there but we learned some fun facts about their operation and got to same some really fresh beer. It was tasty and a nice indoor activity on a less than great weather day.

Later that day we headed into Chatham to walk around downtown, eat at our favorite restaurant and catch the home opener for the As. We ended up doing two of those three things.....when we drove past our favorite restaurant (Nick's Pizza) on the way downtown it had a closed sign on the door. We double-backed and sure enough...empty! The outside had been updated on the building and it looked like the inside was being redone. Since the sign is still up out front we are really hoping that maybe the owners are just updating and will reopen. I'm not going to lie...I got a little choked up when we saw it was closed. We've been going there each summer before As games and love it. It would be so sad if Henry never got to eat there!

Instead of Nick's we ate at the Red Nun, which is the restaurant/bar right next to the ball field. Henry got to color on the paper table covering with crayons while we had a beer and chicken fingers.

The weather was terrible for an opening day baseball game and the crowd (or lack thereof) showed for it. It was cold and sprinkled/rained the whole game. We stuck it out until about the 4th or 5th inning and then got in the car. The outfield goes out into a hill that meets up with a road in town so we drove up to the road and parked to watch the rest of the game. Henry had a bottle and zonked out while we watched the game. The neatest part for me was hearing the Monomoy Theater's rehearsal for their first summer show "Man of La Mancha" from the outfield. They must have been really belting it out because I could hear a lot of it.

Chatham ended up losing the game sadly but I just read on Facebook that they won tonight so things are looking up!

We headed back to the hotel after the game, got Henry settled in bed and hit the hay ourselves. The next morning Henry decided that 5:30 would be a good time to get up and be very talkative and cute. He played in bed with us and we finally got him to go back to sleep for a little bit. When he got back up around 8:15 we packed up the car and headed out. We had a quick stop for gas and Dunkin Donuts (which are the Starbucks of New England....on every corner!) and made it back to Ridgewood in time for a delicious veal parmesan Sunday afternoon dinner.

I am very glad that we are heading back up to the Cape in July for a little bit longer. I'm looking forward to better weather (fingers crossed) and more exploring with Henry.

Stay tuned for a big update later this week... :-) (No...not baby #2...think 4bd/2bth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment